Jump directly to main navigation Jump directly to content Jump to sub navigation

All students have to submit a certificate of matriculation (depending on the university it is called either "matriculation certificate" or "certificate of enrolment" or "certificate of registration"; in German either "Immatrikulationsbescheinigung" or "Studienbescheinigung") for the current semester to the Studierendenwerk. At this university location, the following deadlines apply:

  • 30 April for the summer semester and
  • 31 October for the winter semester

If the tenancy starts after one of the above mentioned dates, the certificate is to be submitted to the Studierendenwerk within seven days after the beginning of the tenancy agreement.

Tutor program of Studierendenwerk Würzburg

We are an intercultural team of tutors at the Würzburg, Schweinfurt, Aschaffenburg and Bamberg campuses. Most of us live in a hall of residence run by the Studierendenwerk.

About us

  • We are a cross-cultural team of tutors in Würzburg, Schweinfurt, Aschaffenburg and Bamberg. Most of us live in one of the student residences of Studierendenwerk.
  • We help our international and German students with concerns and problems; we answer questions and facilitate the settling-in period.
  • We organise regular events in the residences to strengthen the sense of community.

Structure and offer

  • We work as a team and meet regularly to discuss and exchange important issues. In addition, we also meet with representatives of the Studierendenwerk.
  • We are the connecting link between student residents, facility managers and the Studierendenwerk.
  • We assist in the resolution of conflicts.
  • We encourage intercultural exchange.

The contact details of the tutors can be found at the student residences.

Become a tutor

  • have good interpersonal skills,
  • be interested in meeting different people and getting in contact with different cultures,
  • have good team working and communication skills,
  • be reliable and independent,
  • be living at one of our student residences and should be speaking German as well as English.

You will have an opportunity to enhance your team working as well as your interpersonal and intercultural skills, and you will meet people from all around the world. You will be paid for your efforts and will be issued a letter which confirms that you have worked as a tutor.

Please send your tutor application (certificate of enrollment, letter of motivation and CV) for Studierendenwerk halls of residence to the Social Counseling Service. 


(0931) 8005-225 oder (0931) 8005-228


You are living in one of our student residences already or have been officially assigned a place in one of our student residences? Sign up for the Student Residence Buddy Programme!

The Studierendenwerk Würzburg has launched its Student Residence Buddy Programme to promote intercultural exchange and give German and international students who are living in one of its student residences in Würzburg the opportunity to get to know each other.

The programme pairs up international and German students. The German buddy will help the international buddy settle into his/her life in Würzburg, will show him/her around the student residence and will help with any problems he/she may have while moving in and adjusting to life at the student residence.
Once the international buddy has settled in, the two buddies will spend time together in shared activities. How often do the buddies meet in their spare time and how do they spend their time together? That's completely up to them.

The purpose of the programme is to help international students meet people and get to know the city of Würzburg and give German students the opportunity to build international connections.

Please note that you must be living in one of the student residences operated by the Studierendenwerk Würzburg or must have been officially assigned a place in one of our student residences to participate in the programme.

The social counselling team of the Studierendenwerk Würzburg will be happy to help with any problems or questions the buddies may have.

You want to be a buddy? We look forward to hearing from you!

Questions and answers about living in our student residences

You will have to make monthly advance payments of your utility charges, e.g. heating, hot water, electricity as well as water and sewer. We regularly adjust the amount of these advance payments based on the consumption in the previous year.

Here you can find the english translation details of operating costs (PDF file).

We want to offer affordable housing to as many students as possible. This is why rental periods are limited. The regular rental period is a maximum of 7 semesters or, respectively, is based on the maximum funding period under the BAföG act and the rotation principle. More information can be found in the regulations governing the allocation of places in our student residences.

There are shopping facilities available near our student residences. Please find out where you can find them.

We advise all of our tenants who do not have liability insurance coverage through their families to take out liability insurance. It is easy to cause damage, and such damage can cost you vast amounts of money.

The Studierendenwerk Würzburg employs caretakers to keep its student residences in a good condition. In normal circumstances, you will be expected to submit a written defect report when you find a defect in your housing unit or student residence. In cases where urgent action is required, you can also call to report a defect.

Please leave all repairs to our caretakers, they are trained professionals. If you carry out repairs yourself, in particular if the water supply or electricity is concerned, you may cause water damage or fires!

In normal circumstances, your caretaker will enter your room after he or she has received your defect report in order to repair the defect you have reported. If you do not want your caretaker to do so, please state this in writing when you report the defect to him or her.

Please terminate your rental contract with effect from the end of the semester and make sure you give the amount of notice required by your rental contract. The applicable notice period can be found in your rental contract. If you want to move back in after you return, please submit a new online application at least three months prior to your desired move in date and upload a document that proves that you have spent the semester abroad.

After you have submitted your application, you will receive an auto-generated email with a confirmation link. If you do not click that confirmation link, your application will not be forwarded to us!

All rooms in our student residences are equipped with an internet connection, some rooms have WiFi. Bandwidths, conditions and/or routers vary between student residences. The costs are included in the rent.

If your bank account details change, you will have to send us a written notice, which must be signed by the account holder.

Please inform us of any changes to your bank account details as soon as possible to ensure that we will continue to receive your rent payments.

Please contact the rental accounting department responsible for your student residence directly in order to receive the form you will have to complete. The details of your contact persons can be found below.



Frau Behl

(0931) 8005-172

Aschaffenburg: Bessenbacher Weg 10


Leo-Weismantel-Straße 1
Peter-Schneider-Straße 3/5/7

Frau Jonas


Am Galgenberg 52
Am Hubland 16
Straubmühlweg 11

Frau Ebner-Kroh

(0931) 8005-182


Friedenstraße 2
Josef-Schneider-Straße 9
Klara-Oppenheimer-Weg 39
Landsteinerstraße 3
Zürnstraße 1/3/5/7
Zürnstraße 2

Herr Fuß

Aschaffenburg: Bessenbacher Weg 10


Leo-Weismantel-Straße 1
Peter-Schneider-Straße 3/5/7

All of our housing units have built-in kitchens with an electric cooker (the kitchens in most of our shared apartments also have an oven) and a sink. The tenants of shared apartments share a kitchen.

Each tenant is responsible for keeping their kitchen clean. If extra cleaning by external cleaning companies becomes necessary, e.g. due to a tenant’s lack of cleanliness, the tenants of the affected apartment will have to pay for that extra cleaning.

Each tenant is responsible for ensuring a healthy temperature and air quality in their apartment. Please also pay attention to the specific conditions in your student residence (e.g. passive ventilation). If you notice mould in your apartment, you must notify your caretaker IMMEDIATELY. You will have to bear any costs incurred by us as a result of you tampering with ventilation systems. 

General rule: Open your windows fully three times a day for 10 minutes each. Tilting your windows open is not sufficient.

More information can be found in our information sheet on the correct heating and airing of rooms.

The regulations of the local waste disposal providers apply. Please read the information about waste separation that has been posted in your student residence. Not separating waste correctly leads to higher disposal costs, which will have to be paid by all tenants of the residence.

Our rooms are fully furnished. They have:

  • a wardrobe
  • shelves
  • a desk and an office chair
  • a bed including a mattress
  • a chair

You will have to bring other items, e.g. your own pots and pans, crockery, bed sheets, pillow, duvet, TV, hair dryer, towels, toilet brush and shower curtain.

Details of the individual amenities can be found in the description of your student residence.

Parking facilities and the fees charged for them (if any) vary between student residences. More information can be found in the description of your student residence. The student residences in the city centre of Bamberg do not have parking facilities for motor vehicles.

All student residences have bicycle parking facilities, most of which are covered and fenced.

Cleaning their rooms/apartments, shared kitchen and bathroom is the responsibility of our tenants. The tenants of shared apartments often have arguments about uncleaned shared rooms (kitchen, bathroom, toilet). The Studierendenwerk reserves the right to have rooms/apartments cleaned by external cleaning companies. The associated costs will be charged to the tenants of the respective rooms/apartments.

All rooms are equipped with smoke alarm devices. Some of these devices are connected to a central fire alarm system. Any tampering with smoke alarm devices (e.g. removing them or putting something on or over them) will be considered a misuse of safety equipment and will be punished. In addition, you will have to pay for any damage caused by tampering with the devices.

Please air your room/apartment thoroughly if smoke builds up from cooking, candles, shishas etc. In that way, you can avoid setting the alarm off accidentally. If the non-compliance of a tenant with the applicable rules causes a fire fighting operation, that tenant will have to pay for that operation!

Smoking is not welcome in our housing units. It goes without saying that smokers think of their flatmates and neighbours. Please also think of the tenants that will move in after you leave - all furniture as well as the walls and floor will smell of smoke, as we won’t be able to replace them every time a new tenant moves in.

If you smoke in your housing unit anyhow, we reserve the right to charge you for the cleaning and any new furniture that we may have to buy. Tenants are responsible for ensuring that their visitors, too, do not throw cigarette butts out of the window or from the balcony.

It is the responsibility of the tenants to ensure that they fulfil their obligation to pay the public broadcasting licence fee (also known in German as “GEZ-Gebühr”). It is not included in the rent.

If you find a defect in your room or apartment, complete our defect report form and submit it to your caretaker.

If you notice pests in your room/apartment (e.g. bedbugs), please notify your caretaker IMMEDIATELY!

General duty to provide information under Section 36 VSBG [Bonn]

We are neither obliged nor willing to participate in dispute resolution proceedings before a consumer arbitration board (“Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle”) according to the German act on alternative dispute resolution for consumer disputes (“Verbraucherstreitbeilegungsgesetz”, VSBG).

According to the VSBG, we are, however, obliged to provide you with the details of a competent consumer arbitration board:

Allgemeine Verbraucherschlichtungsstelle des Zentrums für Schlichtung e. V., Straßburger Str. 8, 77694 Kehl, Germany. 

Web: www.verbraucher-schlichter.de

If you are already living in one of our student residences and want to move to another one, please submit a new application online. You will then be placed on the general waiting list. You can move to another student residence once in the entire rental period. You cannot move to another housing unit in the same student residence. Moving to another student residence is not permitted in Aschaffenburg and Schweinfurt.

In certain circumstances, students are entitled to the “Wohngeld” rent subsidy. More information can be obtained from the social counselling team of the Studierendenwerk Würzburg.

All student residences are equipped with washing machines and dryers. You will have to pay for each use of them.